What is iPhone DFU Mode?
DFU (Device Firmware Update) Mode is a means to getting your iPhone to interface without iTunes automatically loading the latest iOS version onto it.
How to Enter DFU Mode?
This is an offcial guide, which works for iPod, iPad, iPhone and any iOS based devices.
1. Connect iPhone to your computer.
2. Turn off the iPhone.
3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
4. Hold the Home button and the Power button for 10 seconds simultaneously
5. Release the Power Button but keep holding the Home button
6. Keep holding the Home button until you are alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode
P.S. If you want to enter DFU Mode to recover deleted iPhone data, please follow How to Put your iPhone, iPad, iPod into DFU Mode?
What is iPhone Recovery Mode?
Some people also call it as iPhone Restore Mode. Recovery Mode is that how to start all over again on your iPhone like new. It deletes everything,
including the operating system, and reloads directly from Apple. Once your iPhone is in recovery mode, you can proceed to the iPhone restore process.
How to Put iPhone into Recovery Mode?
This method works with iPhone, iPad, iPod, and all iOS devices.
1. Disconnect the iPhone and USB cable, but leave the other end of the cable connected to your computer.
2. Turn off the iPhone. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons on your iPhone at the same time until your device screen goes black.
3. While pressing and holding the Home button, and connect the USB cable to your iPhone. When you reconnect the USB cable to iPhone, the device should power on.
How to Exit iPhone Recovery Mode?
You can exit recovery mode before deleting data and restoring your phone. To do so, unplug the device from the USB cable. Then hold down the sleep/wake button until it turns off. Let go of the button and then hold it down again until the Apple logo reappears. Let it go and the device will boot up. This only works, of course, if your device was working properly previously. If you are unluckily lost data or restore iPhone before getting into Recovery mode, just use iPhone Data Recovery (for both Mac and Windows) to recover deleted iPhone photos, contacts, text messages, etc.
Differences between DFU Mode and Recovery Mode?
The most key difference between DFU Mode and Recovery Mode is iBoot. iBoot is the bootloader on iPhone OS devices, it acts on restore while iPhone is in Recovery Mode, iBoot makes sure that you are flashing a firmware version greater than or equal to a current one.
Recovery mode uses iBoot during restoring or upgrading your iPhone while DFU mode bypasses the iBoot so you can downgrade the current firmware because there is no iBoot agent during the DFU mode.
What is iPhone Safe Mode?
Safe Mode on the iPhone has been apart of jailbreaking for years now, but many people still don’t understand it. If your iPhone is jailbroken, Safe Mode will be invoked when MobileSubstrate (the Cydia support framework) crashes.
How to enable your iPhone into Safe Mode
1. Open MobileTerminal on the iPhone (If you’re unable to do so proceed with Step 2, else skip to Step 3)
2. SSH to the iPhone using WinSCP/PuTTy (Windows) or Terminal (Linux or Mac)
3. Login using the following default values (provided you haven’t changed them yourself):
4. Once logged in, enter the following command
5. Respring the SpringBoard